'Wishes to Green Kerala Express'- a viewer's letter

Posted by Green Keralam On 8:46:00 PM

To
Sri K.P. Kannan
Permanent Jury
Green Kerala Express Social Reality Show

Dear Sir,

Kindly recall my telecom with you today morning.  I want to know certain things from you and I also want to share my thoughts with you.  I am fully aware that you are a very busy person and it will be not easy for you to spare time for me.  However, it is my hope that whenever you get some time, you will revert to me.
 
Sir, I belong to Ottappalam Taluk in Palakkad district.  I passed SSLC exam in 1970 and then joined for typing and shorthand course.  After passing typing and shorthand I left Kerala.  Within one week of my reaching Nasik I got a job as a Stenographer.  I did not make a fortune during the last 35 years of my stay in Nasik. Yes, I was able to meet the basic requirements like food, cloth and shelter.  In 70s I could not have  thought a better way of finding a job, after Matriculation.  One option was to migrate elsewhere, to secure a job.  And I did that.

Sir, it is not my intention to tell my biography to you.  What I want to tell you is about my observation about  certain pockets in Kerala, especially rural Kerala.

During my childhood I had seen and experienced poverty.  Like many others in our village and surrounding areas I was also born in a farmer’s family.  We were able to produce enough to feed us throughout the year.  In short, food was not a problem.  But, money, hard cash was a problem.  And precisely due to this problem I had to discontinue my education after SSLC.

During my childhood I have observed the life of farm labours  from very close quarters.  Most of the families were joint families.  The elders used to toil in the fields of land lords. The children hardly used to attend schools.  Those who attend schools, hardly reach High Schools.  Till 1975 I haven’t seen a single child from this group (most S.C./S.T./OBCs) passing the SSLC exam.  But something else I had observed.  Though the children were not getting education they were getting trained in some skilled jobs.  By the time they become 18-20 years they were able to earn something for themselves and for their parents.  Notwithstanding the fact that  the earnings were very meager, they were having some skilled job in their possession.

Later, in the 90s I have seen that the farm labours were getting better wages.  After meeting their daily expenses (including expenses on alcoholic drinks) they were left with some cash in hand in the evening.  Their children, neither educated nor employed, were dependent on their parents for pocket money.  Luckily for them, the parents were having some money to spare for their children. (I believe, this was due to the fact that in the 70s and 80s the public in Kerala practiced family planning, voluntarily and there were only one or two children to take care of).  These children used to enjoy their life spending money earned by their parents.  Expenses for cinema, alcoholic drinks and other entertainments were met by their parents.  They had no skills – they can’t climb a tree and pluck mangoes or jack fruits.  They can’t plough the fields.  They do not know how to fix a broken water pipe nor do they know how to connect an electrical wire to a fan.  This was something  painful to watch.

But, for last 7-8 years I have noticed a change in the pattern.  Now I do not see such boys in our area.  ( I am talking certain pockets of Palakkad and Malappuram districts only; the situation in other districts may be different).  They still can’t climb a tree; they can’t plough the fields.  But they possess some other skills.  Many of them have mastered certain trades like welding, wiring, plumbing etc.  These trades have good demand also.  Hence, they have  become independent.  At least some of them have become self employed, as auto owners cum drivers, taxi/jeep owners cum drivers.  Some others have gone a step ahead and become small entrepreneurs also.

This is my observation in a limited area, during a limited period.

It is after seeing 50 episodes of Green Kerala Express  I realized  that Kerala has marched ahead and made developments in many areas.  The revolution brought about by the Elappully and Kannadi Panchayats in animal husbandry and diary is an eye opener.

Similarly, the projects undertaken by Vengara Panchayat and Parappanangady Panchayat are also  deserve appreciation.  I do not wish to enumerate, as you have witnessed everything.

These kind of developments have ensured that Keralites need not to migrate other parts of India, as was the case till 90s.  Now we do not see any new face from Kerala arriving in Nasik or for that matter Mumbai, Pune etc.  I believe that now only a few people migrate in search of jobs.  They skilled IT professionals and they migrate to U.S., Germany etc. via Bangalore or Hyderabad. 

Now-a-days we do not see any Kerala girl getting married to non-resident Keralites. Parents prefer boys working in Kerala rather than marrying off their daughters out of Kerala.   Kerala has developed to such extent.  It is really a matter of pride for any Malayalee.

Green Kerala Express has show-cased the developments taken place in Kerala for last few years.  And certainly they are remarkable.  I hope, the suggestions and guidance from the Jury members may give a new direction to the Panchayat President and other members and Kerala will reach new heights.

With warm regards,
 
V.P. VAIDYAR
Cell No.: 09921766601

Categories: